Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wednesday

Andrew and I took our friend Courtney out to dinner and then to get coffee because she is transferring to North Texas next semester. We took her to Pei Wei, paid for her meal, and I bought her "The Secret History" as a going away gift (my favorite book of all time btw)

Anyways, aftwerard we went to Common Grounds and got some coffee and sat outside by the stage. We were basically the only ones out there for a while since it was freezing cold. After about fifteen minutes a lady comes up on stage and starts setting up on the stage for something- turns out she's a interpretive dance performer.
Now when I think of interpretive dance I think of stuff like people twirling those really long ribbons around them-well I was wrong.
She did weird dances like the ones where you make a triangle over your head with your arms and then rock your head from side to side; it kind of made me think of some ancient Egyptian dance or maybe a song by a one hit wonder eighties band.
Now there is only ten people outside watching her at this point, but she acts like its a packed house. Halfway through she gets the mic and starts giving a speech. At first I was like "what in the world..." she kept saying stuff like "seel all the records" and "its my sons birthday today, I am a dallas cowboy cheerleader" then she started talking about abusive relationships and how we are all God's children and not to forfit our morals for the person we love and that God has a person out there made for us that will love us like he wants us to be loved.
It went from being reallllllllyyyyyyyyyyy weird (and me kind of feeling sorry for her) to me actually enjoying listening to her.
She then proceeded to do a dance to that beyonce song "irreplaceable" and then concluded with a dance number to "New York New York".
It was quite the experience, and an enjoyable one at that.

No comments: