Monday, December 8, 2008

Movies pt 1

So I guess on this blog I'll just post whatever I feel like writing about and since I am re watching "Stardust Memories" I'll talk about my two favorite Woody Allen movies (even though all of them are great).


Stardust Memories
Photobucket

I would have to say this is probably one of Woody Allen's most criminally underrated films. Shot in beautiful black and white its amazing. The dialogue is very realistic and we get to see the slightly morose Allen throughout.
Allen plays Sandy Bates, a well known and prolific film director, who is having a film convention for his life works. He travels to the hotel "Stardust" and when arriving he is filled with a sense of regret as he has to relive three of his past relationships.
It's heartbreakingly beautiful, with a mix of the happy times in of the relationships and the eventual break ups. We also see parts of Sandy's childhood memories. From performing a magic show to pretending he was a superhero. 
It's a great movie and I absolutely love the scene with Dorrie when she is laying on the floor and "Stardust" by Louis Armstrong is playing with Sandy talking. It has to be one of my favorite movie scenes ever. 

Favorite scene:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GOu0HuMP4

Annie Hall
Photobucket

Although the first Woody Allen movie I saw was "Manhattan", "Annie Hall" was the one that got me hooked. I have never seen a movie shot so well. A mix between the early years of their relationship with the later ones is amazing. It is really a funny movie twinged with an underlying sadness. 
Allen play Alvy Singer, a neurotic comedian, who starts dating a woman named Annie Hall played by Diane Keaton. Their relationship is not filmed in order, instead you start off with perhaps the best opening scene of any movie I've ever seen: Alvy Singer standing in a room giving a monologue about his views on life and how they relate to his relationship with Annie. Its all really so sad, and I hate to admit this to anyone (especially the on the internet) but the last scene had me on the verge of tears. If you ever have the chance to see it (or if I know you I will probably try and force you to watch it at some point), its definitely worth it a million times over. 

Favorite scene:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

No comments: