Friday, January 9, 2009

kick it back

During December, when I was supposed to have been studying for finals, I had this huge idea for a blog that I thought would be awesome. I picked out all of my favorite albums and I planned on writing a review for each one. I didnt realize how time consuming it would be/ how lazy I am. So I did it for my top 5 albums and the rest aren't in any particular order.

1. Hold On Now, Youngster...-Los Campesinos!
Photobucket
Not only is this my favorite album of 2008 but it easily makes it into my favorite albums of all time. Filled with beats from a glockenspiel and references c86, Bonnie Tyler, a Pavement EP, K records, and victorian novels; Hold on now youngster seems to have it all. From sudden realizations of love (“The opposite of true love is as follows….REALITY”) to Gareth Campesinos witty remarks about doomed relationships (“I’m stitching up each one of your pockets so when we are together you’ll maybe look a little less bored”) makes this album fun to listen even just for the steady stream of pop culture references. The music and lyrics fit together perfectly bringing images of hopelessness and cynicism masked behind a camp persona. Something about this album (and this band) strikes a chord with me, and every time I listen to it I am filled with memories and the ability to identify with each song.

2.Alopecia-Why?
Photobucket
Alopecia-Why?
With self deprecating lyrics bordering on the perverted, Why? have finally found their form. With a sound that is hard to classify into a genre and the closest I can come would be “indie rap” (even though I don’t agree with that classification 100%) the albums brings a sense of freshness. Fronted by Yoni Wolf, Why? have been making albums for the past few years, successfully sliding under the radar until this years release Alopecia. Perhaps the most enjoyable thing about this album is the strange truth in these songs. With lyrics about how bad his life has turned out (“Faking suicide for applause in the food courts of malls” )to breaking up with his girlfriend (“I’ll see you when the sun sets east, don’t forget me”). Alopecia turns out to be masterful and consistent all the way through bringing a sense of unique pleasure that you’ve never heard anything like it before.

3.The Midnight Organ Fight-Frightened Rabbit
Photobucket
From the opening track, “The modern leper”, this small Scottish band steals your heart. Midnight organ fight (a kind of gross name if you think about it) is stuffed with heartfelt angst and pride with lyrics such as “So you just stepped out of the front of my house and I'll never see you again.” It’s hard to imagine these guys singing about falling in love when most of their songs stem from the initial depression and then anger of a break up. Imagine all of these emotions wrapped into 14 songs ranging from the slow to the fast and you have The Midnight Organ Fight.

4.Youth Novels-Lykke Li
Photobucket
It seems that at least once a year a Swedish band crosses the ocean and makes it big in the U.S. Last year it was Peter, Bjorn, and John, and it seems that this year’s was Lykke Li. Singing about falling in love and being too shy to do anything about it but dance(“easy conversations, there's no such thing oh, i'm shy, shy, shy”) and all the while stealing your heart. Her songs are catchy and her backing band plays acoustic guitars and the occasional synths. I’ve been listening to this album for months and it doesn’t get old at all.

5. Red, Yellow, & Blue-Born Ruffians
Photobucket
Around Septemberish I was really into Violent Femmes (and still am for that matter) and I wanted to find another band who sounded somewhat similar: and then I found Born Ruffians. Although they don’t sing about teenage angst as much as the femmes did but lead singer Luke Lalonde crafts a vocal style eerily similar to my ears. Stealing the show is the song “Barnacle Goose” with lyrics “And I'm frustrated with myself but I can't change I don't want to be me anymore.” Filled with fast paced songs and accompanied shouting vocals that pop in at the most unexpected but enjoyable times. Energetic and a fun to yell to in the car and one of the funnest (yeah I know its not a word but whatever) records of 2008.

the rest (in no particular order)
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed-Los Campesinos!
Anecdotes-Foals
Alas, I Cannot Swim-Laura Marling
Women-Women
For Emma, Forever Ago-Bon Iver
The Airing of Grievances-Titus Andronicus
Little Joy-Little Joy
This is Ivy League-This Is Ivy League
Lust, Lust, Lust-The Raveonettes
In Ghost Colours-Cut Copy
The Rhumb Line-Ra Ra Riot
You & Me-The Walkmen
The Virgins-The Virgins
Vampire Weekend-Vampire Weekend
Elephant Shell-Tokyo Police Club

I feel like I am forgetting some, but oh well. All of those albums are very very good. Most of them are indie pop albums and a few dance and a few folksy. Just pick one at random and listen to it. I promise you'll like it.

ps I know that those paragraphs I wrote have mistakes, but I really dont want to fix them so just ignore my poor grammar and spelling. kthnxbye

No comments: