Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday

I’ll have the late shift; probably from about midnight till three a.m at the radio station. I’ve thought long and hard about this and I think my on air name would be “Pronto” and I’d disguise my voice. I’d play music that is only nostalgic and maybe some nights I’d even have a little contest. I’d say “the seventh caller to call in and tell me the name of the 26th president of the United States will win a prize!”. The seventh caller would come on air and would be excited and nervous and I’d say:

“Hello? Who is this?”

“Caroline”

“Well Caroline…you’re the seventh caller! Congratulation! So here’s the question one more time: who was the 26th president of the United States?!”

There would be screams and I’d be trying to calm her down.

“THAT’S RIGHT! YOU ARE ABSOLUETLY CORRECT! CONGRATULATIONS CAROLINE!”

It would be just me in the radio booth, and on the other side of the glass would be traffic and weather expert Bernard “Barns” James. He’d jump into the conversation every now and then just like the band leaders do on the late night talk shows. Everyone out in the real world would tune into listen to our banter and laugh and pretend that we were friends with them in real life. Theyd probably imagine that maybe Barns and I had been hanging out with them that evening, just watching T.V and joking around. Then when it got close to midnight I’d let out a sigh and say “Well it looks like ol Barns and I have got to head to work. See ya later.”

Barns and I would spend the night just chatting and listening to music. Maybe there would be an old coffee maker somewhere in the radio station. It’d make nasty tasting coffee but I’d eventually get so used to it that I wouldn’t drink any other coffee.

Maybe early in the morning, perhaps around 2:45, when Barns had gone to the bathroom and I was all alone in the station and pretty sure that no one was listening, I’d whisper a song dedication to you.

Your Silent Face by New Order

No comments: