Friday, February 27, 2009

oh youve got blue eyes.

I keep having dreams about Target.
I know, its kind of odd, but I worked there for something like six months I think. It wasn’t my first job. I worked at a JC Penney by my house before that and absolutely hated it. You have no idea how terrible it is to fold clothes for hours on end and then organize them according to sizes. So I got a job at Target on the other side of the highway. Basically I’d get out of school, drive home, change into my classic red polo and classic khaki pants and drive to work to make it there for 3.30. Id go clock in grab a scanner and a walkie talkie and head to the back. There would always be a line of red carts with stuff on them for me to stock and I’d spend two and a half hours working on all of them to get them stocked. Then the night crew would come in, usually about five or six guys (including me) and we would begin in B block where the cards were and work our way down the aisles-pulling items to the front of the shelf to make it look like we had everything in stock-it was called zoning.
It sounds like a pretty boring job but I actually began to really enjoy it. After a while I got pretty high up in this particular Targets chain of command. Don’t get me wrong, I was still a store associate, but all of the team leaders and m.od’s would ask me questions and I always had the feeling that they trusted me just a little bit more than the other guys at times. If I would have stayed I don’t doubt I could have been a team leader in a year or two, but college comes first. I had these two really good friends, Michael and Drew. Drew worked electronics and was a junior in college and Michael was out of the military and was like twenty five or something. Michael and I were usually assigned to zone together and we would spend the whole time goofing around and he’d give me advice on girls and so would Drew (even though Drew’s was more of a joke). They were both two of my really good friends and I didn’t get to say goodbye to them when I left. I took leave of absence and left that day.
I could go back and work this summer but I don’t know how much I want to do that. I enjoyed stocking and being in a huge store down and aisle after it closed just whistling and being pretty much alone. I liked to listen to the sound of that steady fuzz coming out of my walkie. I miss all of the personalities and my friends (who have all probably left by now). I miss knowing where the fondue makers were (aisle B27 top shelf). I miss clocking out, jumping in my car and driving to Imperial City to get Chinese food for my lunch break. I miss my old boss Zach who was just out of college and really sarcastic that he was working at Target with a buisness degree but when he quit he told me to turn in any day off request and he’d approve it. I miss that summer.
I’m going to be going to summer school this summer and I probably need to just work on the side so I don’t die of boredom. I’m not looking forward to this summer. It’ll be different now that I’m done with my first year of college but I’m sure it will be better than last.

1 comment:

Margo said...

Hahah, I had Target dreams too, except the customers wouldn't leave me alone. :)

I understand missing working though.